15 July 2008

hidden power of birth control

This past weekend I picked up The Bell Jar. I had actually bought it during my last trip to Colorado but never ended up reading it. I decided this was the time to do it. I don't know why. I've never read anything by Sylvia Plath before and I don't really know anything about her other than she committed suicide.

I wonder why girls aren't encourage to read this book? In the end it leaves one optimistic and hopeful about the strengths we have as women (until you shut the book and think about where things ended up beyond it's pages). It's actually a funny and charming book. I felt very comforted by her experiences, her struggles even if they were during a time so removed from my own. I think Esther Greenwood is our Holden Caulfield ladies.

I wish 16 year old me had read The Bell Jar but I also wish 16 year old me would never find out that Ms. Plath eventually stuck her head in an oven.

1 comment:

Matilda said...

Must add that to my must read list!