LA's Prom Closet
I am proud to say LA's Prom Closet is heading into its annual event of providing high school students the opportunity to attend their prom. For those of you who are unfamiliar, a few friends and I have worked very hard to start this non-profit organization, which donates old and new formal dresses to underprivileged high school seniors in the Los Angeles County school district.
In April, 2008 we held a fantastic event in Hawthorne providing not only dresses, but also workshops on etiquette, self-esteem and makeup application for a wide variety of young female teens. We hope to continue this success come March 14th at the second annual LA's Prom Closet's, "Dress to Remember".
As with all non-profits, the success of such an event heavily relies on the amazing donations given by people like you. Below is a list of categories in which we seek assistance. If you have any other ideas, please feel free to share.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
- Dresses: Formal and Semi-Formal. All sizes (Plus size dresses needed). Dry-cleaned or washed (dress drop-off locations to come)
- Dress accessories: Hangers, z-racks, clear plastic dry-cleaning bags, clothing tags, dressing rooms
- Tailoring: Seamstresses, sewing machines, irons, tailoring supplies
- Make-up: Make-up artists, make-up and supplies
- Jewelry: Earrings, bracelets, necklaces, rings
- Decorations: Formal event linen, tables, chairs, balloons, flowers
- Workshop assistance: Etiquette instructors, motivational speakers, etc.
- Gift bags: Paper or plastic gift bags, tissue for bags
- Clerical needs: Pens, Paper, Scissors
- Delivery assistance: Delivery truck
- Monetary donations: Anything you can provide is welcome. This is all tax-deductible!
- Food and beverages for the volunteers the day of the event: breakfast, snacks, lunch
- Volunteers for set up on the 13th and the big day on the 14th
- Drop off locations: Volunteer your home or business as a dress/supplies drop-off location
- Spread the word to your family, friends and colleagues!
If you are interested in donating a dress or services, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit a gown and supplies is March 6th.
Mary Jo Salcido
LA's Prom Closet
"Sometimes achieving a larger dream means first making the small ones happen"
LA's Prom Closet is a non-profit 501c3 organization made of volunteers who rely on donated dresses, volunteer services and monetary donations to achieve its mission. http://www.myspace.com/laspromcloset