24 June 2009

pocket aces aren't always the tits

Spent the weekend in Vegas. Trip started out with pre-gaming (work beers - why do they make you drunker than home beers!?) before My Heart picked me up on Friday night. At some point we were talking about directions when I asked him to stop talking because I had to pee. I had to pee so bad all I could concentrate on was NOT peeing. So we stopped at a gas station... at this point we were still in LA.

From there the trip got better I guess. Not that it was bad just unpredictable. We got to our room at the Rio around midnight and basically just went to sleep. My Heart's WSOP event was the next day starting at noon so he needed to rest up.

We were hoping to have a breakfast meet up with the family and friends that had come out for the weekend but you know how it goes with a big group of people. It was just too hard to coordinate so we ended up wandering for quite a bit until his parents eventually arrived. The thing about the Rio is that it's off the strip which some how makes it a destination (not that you can actually walk to most places on the strip - the size of those places make the distances deceiving). Anyway, big surprise as we turned the corner to greet Mom and Dad was BROTHER!!! It was an awesome surprise that sure made My Heart happy.

From there it was poker time. The event went well for his first big one. I suppose he wishes he would have done better - like win money better. But I think it was a great experience. I certainly enjoyed watching the games being played. I stood trying to get a glimps of My Heart but his table was so far away I could only see his hat (over 2,700 entrants). Fortunately for me pro player Brandon Cantu had an edge table and I got to watch him play for a few hours. We also saw Doyle Brunson, Phil Hellmuth (who threw an awesome mf bomb when he got knocked out but eventually came over for pictures) and Daniel Negreanu to name a few.

Drove home Sunday after a quick Father's Day breakfast. My Heart just needed to get out of there. Me, I'm jonsing for some poker action of my own now. Anyone up for a game?

No comments: