08 November 2007

on the road

Ever since we all went to see the movie Into The Wild I've had the feeling that I need to read more (it's an amazing movie by the way). I used to read all the time and now I feel like all I do is watch TV - gotta love that Kid Nation. I was thinking that the last thing I read was Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking (quick read and quite the tear jerker) but then remembered that the last Harry Potter book (also a quick read and even more of a tear jerker) came out after I read that. I don't really count Harry Potter though. And I don't know why - maybe because even non-readers read Harry Potter.
I started reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers about two years ago and have still not gotten through it. I think that has been a big part of my reading block. I feel like I have to finish that book before I can move on to the many others calling my name from that dusty, cat hair filled staircase. I have stacks of books just waiting for me. It's not like Staggering Genius is so bad either. Maybe I should set another goal...
GOAL #2 – Finish reading A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and one other book by the end of the year.
(By the way, Goal #1 is still in progress. That night I did an outstanding job in cleaning up & cleaning out the bathroom if I do say so myself. I have also tackled the fridge and the cupboards.)

No comments: