03 March 2010

in this age

I've been out of the dating scene going on 5 years now so I wasn't quite sure if I was just over reacting or if it truly was odd...

She showed up at his place for their first date and handed him a candle saying, "This is the same scent I have in my bedroom." Could be a subtly sexy hint right? That is until she showed up at his place for date number two carrying something along the lines of this:


Now mind you, there was no birthday or holiday involved. And he's not really a movie or candy kind of guy (or candle I hear). So my initial reaction was, "Run! She's absolutely crazy." But then I thought, maybe it was just a really nice gesture and I was out of touch with what was acceptable dating behavior. So I did what any normal person would do, I put the question out there for the facebook world to decide. I got a lot of really great responses. Many echoing my sentiment of crazy but some really thought out and concise ideas such as this one from one of my male cousins:
Did anyone suspect that maybe the girl was hinting that she wanted a candle lit night on the couch eating popcorn and watching movies or something?? i dont find it all that strange...
Who knew he was so sentimental!? My friend D on the other hand said this:
Women with candles have replaced women with cats as the new sad thing.
I think that might be true (even though I love me some candles!). I really enjoyed reading what everyone had to say and although many of you thought it was an odd/crazy gesture not everyone was so quick to assume the worst. Thanks for that!

So a little more back story to all of this...

I do not know this guy or this girl, they are friends of a friend. What I do know, is that she is a recently divorced politician's wife in her late 30s. He is in his late 20s and is in the music industry. They met through her daughter's boyfriend. Let me just repeat that... they met through her DAUGHTER'S BOYFRIEND. Oh, she's also been described as a sexy Latina and I would venture to assume that he's a guy's guy but slightly hipster. In the end, this relationship did not work out - they were looking for two different things but I would have ventured to guess that when she showed up at his house with a candle.

1 comment:

Minn said...

Well, I guess if five years could make even you fuzzy on acceptable dating behavior, that could be a great excuse for her!

Thanks for quelling the curiosity!